We at DVA send Metta to all the Thai people. May you all be healthy and safe.
DVA is very excited to announce the launching of our third countrywide Project in Thailand, joining our Projects in Sri Lanka and Vietnam, which have been going strong for several years. We are equally as excited to announce our new Director of the Project, Chirra Taworntawat, who likes to be called Banks. Banks is a former monk and is currently a Buddhist practitioner. He is a Ph.D. candidate in public health at the renowned Chulalongkorn University in Thailand. He is bilingual, speaking Thai and English, having attending University in the UK. Banks is also well known in Thailand for his vegan mentoring on his own YouTube Channel Coach Banks with over 287,000 followers. You can also find Coach Banks on Facebook: เคล็ดลับง่ายๆรักษาโรคด้วยอาหาร และการเป็นเศรษฐีความสุข
We have begun our plan in Thailand to work with the approximately 300,000 monastics, the great majority of whom eat a great deal of animal flesh and animal products. Some of the biggest and most influential temples in Thailand are working with DVA by welcoming our presentations on the health benefits of a plant-based or, at least, a vegetarian diet. Banks and Dr. Ting made our first presentation at the renowned Wat (temple) Mahathat.
Once the coronavirus lockdown has ended, DVA will begin resuming our presentations at Bangkok area temples, including Thepthidaram, Sutat, the Golden Buddha (Traimit Withhayaram), and Pathumwanaram. During the lockdown, Banks has been making Facebook live presentations specifically for monastics and their followers.
After a very productive meeting with the abbot of Wat Chet Lin in Chiang Mai, DVA will soon schedule a presentation. The abbot invited DVA hoping that we will help him persuade the other 21 monks to give up animals as food.
DVA’s Thailand Project Team
- Chirra Taworntawat (Banks), Director of Thailand Project, PhD. candidate in Public Health at Chulalongkorn University, former monk, YouTube Channel personality.
- Venerable Anandajoti, member of DVA’s Advisory Board, Professor at International Buddhist College (IBC) in Songkhla, Thailand.
- Varapol Chensavasdijar (Jop), Thailand Chapter Leader and Thai diplomat.
- Kalayanee Yimsiri of Veganerie Restaurant, in Bangkok, Diet Consultant.
- Heng Guan Hou, Entrepreneur, Vice President of the Center for a Responsible future, formerly the Vegetarian Society Singapore.
To contact the Thailand Project team please use the form below.